Mold In The Home

Water Damage and Mold

Water damage mold is a serious problem that can be very harmful to the body and difficult to remove. Water damage mold develops after water builds up on building surfaces such as drywall or plaster walls. This mold can develop after only 24-48 hours of contact with the surface.

Some Mold Types Are Serious

Although this mold is not as serious as other types of mold if quickly removed, water damage mold can still cause skin irritations, itchy eyes, allergies, and sinus congestion. Most of the time, if you remove the mold and the area is remediated in a reasonable amount of time these side effects will only last a short while.

Keep The Bathroom Clean and Ventilated

A typical spot for mold to grow as a result of water damage is the bathroom. Some of the causes of black mold in the bathroom are due to leaks. Many people are utterly unaware of water leaks behind walls, ceilings, and floors that have sprung up from broken or deteriorated plumbing. Leaks in bathroom walls are very common, and if you don’t pay attention to the signs, you may end up with water damage and mold problems. Another more common mold occurs when we shower, the water is often so hot that the entire room steams up. Sometimes, even with a fan, moisture sticks to the walls and ceilings. Over a period, this moisture can cause mold. If properly cleaned and ventilated, this mold will pose no significant health hazard and will simply go away. Also, mold tends to accumulate under carpets and tiling in bathrooms so be on the lookout for mold in these places.

Ceiling mold

Basement Mold Can Affect The Entire House

A more serious type of water damage mold occurs in the basement of homes. Mold often grows in basements because basements are normally damp and cool, two things that help accelerate the growth of mold. Also, basements tend to flood after periods of heavy rain, which also will cause mold to grow.  Always make sure water is drained away from your home. If you don’t properly clean your gutters at least once yearly, you will risk the chance of having water in your basement. Finally, basements tend to house the home’s plumbing, and a pipe burst will often cause mold to become very severe. This is why experts recommend that each home have at least one dehumidifier in the basement. A dehumidifier will remove the moisture from the air and hopefully prevent mold from accumulating in the basement.

Clean and Remove Bathroom Mold

To fix your water damage and mold problem, you need to determine the severity of the problem. A minor mold problem in the bathroom can be cleaned and removed by scrubbing the mold away with Clorox and water. Make sure to wear eye and mouth protection and also make sure to wear gloves. Its always a good idea to have a mold test done by a professional to determine the severity of your mold problem.

Mold from Water Damage Needs Professional Attention

However, more severe cases of water damage mold require the mold to be removed directly. If there is mold on the drywall, the drywall needs to be cut out and thrown away. The wooden studs behind the drywall should also be cleaned using a combination of soap and water. If you suspect that you have mold as a result of water damage, you should immediately contact a water damage restoration service. The longer you wait to try to fix your mold problem, the more severe the mold problem will become. This means you will spend the extra money and might even have to leave your house while it is repaired. Do not let mold take over your house. Ignoring mold caused by water damage could present many mold health risks to you and your family. Start taking steps to minimize the damage. Use dehumidifiers, air out your carpets, open your windows, and call a home mold or a water damage restoration service.